Design Manager/Pre-Construction Manager
The Design Manager will be responsible for managing and coordinating the design elements and interfaces of all related aspects of projects. You will ensure the integrity of the design quality is maintained while monitoring the delivery of the project with the aim of providing competitive solutions. The role will involve projects at pre and post tender stage.
The Design Manager will report to the Managing Director and work collaboratively with the Procurement Department, Site Teams and Senior Management and have responsibility for managing the appointed Design Teams and design elements from specialist subcontractors and suppliers.
You will liaise between the Client, Design Consultants and the project staff for the development of design package and procurement strategies.
The ideal candidate will be diploma/degree qualified in Construction Management/ Architectural/ Engineering with a minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience.
Principle Duties & Accountabilities
- Inspection of all project tender documentation to identify risk, establish deliverables and to ensure bid compliance and construction compliance
- Carry out site visits and inspections as required
- The preparation of any necessary scope documents for surveys, investigations and preconstruction regulatory compliance trackers
- Preparation of Tender design briefs for designers & subcontractors/ suppliers
- Obtaining and budgetary management of tender design fee proposals and preparation of detailed design fee estimates
- Preparation of tender submissions, including document formulation and collation
- Tender design planning & programming
- Develop innovative design solutions to meet client's brief while identifying opportunity, insufficient information, inadequate or incorrect design and the management of any required RFI’s
- Review of designs on behalf of BCL, including interrogating drawings and other technical documentation to ensure compliance
- Leading the evaluation of value added options and participation in value engineering meetings at bid and construction stage
- Liaison with project tender staff to ensure compliance with contractor’s proposals understanding of tender design basis for price & programme
- Input to analytical & interpretative reports on technical and commercial factors
- Management of design review meetings, progress & performance reporting, and design change control
- Liaison with Clients, approval bodies and other relevant third parties
- Management of model information including 3D visualizations and Building Information Modelling
- Develop relationships with Clients from concept stage onwards; manage expectations of the project through regular communication and discussions regarding requirements and specifications;
- Manage the relationship for the whole project team on multiple projects - with the Client, subcontractors and professional teams and resolve any queries generated;
- Liaise with BCL project construction staff to ensure buildability, programme coordination, and quality is maintained;
- Review the design on an ongoing basis, identify potential interface problems & practicalities in construction, and resolve with the design team and specialist subcontractors where appropriate;
- Establishing, maintaining and chairing design management meetings at pre tender, post tender stage and construction stage;
- Establishing, compiling, tracking and delivering the required documentation for compliance with elements such as CfSH, BREEAM, LEED etc.
- Represent the company on D&B matters, including attending meetings with potential clients and representatives, and maintain the corporate image;
- Keep abreast of current developments within the industry and identify need for changes in current practice.
- Participates in training BCL staff and associated stakeholders in changes to legislation, design standards etc.
- Assisting the Company in the preparation of pre-qualifications for targeted projects.
- Design Related / Engineering / Construction degree/diploma
- Minimum 5 years commercial / mixed development construction experience, preferably in a Main Contractor entity
- Experiences of building frame solutions, building finishing, service integration and regulatory approvals.
- Demonstrable awareness of the commercial factors applicable to tendering & value engineering
- Thorough working knowledge of computer and database applications such as Windows, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Microsoft Project/Powerproject, AutoCad, Revit,etc.
- Thorough understanding of the construction industry and solid understanding of regulatory requirements and approval periods and process.
- Excellent ability to analyse and interpret contractual documents.
- Proven excellent analytical and organisational skills.
- Strong self-confidence, good judgment, and the ability to make sound decisions required.
- Must commit to maintain strict confidence regarding any sensitive information she/he may have to handle.
- Superior oral and written communication and interpersonal and negotiation skills required.
- Able to interact personably, yet professionally with Client, Design Teams, regulatory officials and staff of all levels as well as with senior executives both within and outside the company.
- Must be able to interact well with Bennett staff at all levels with equal ease.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to a changing environment are essential.
Unfortunately we are unable to assist you in obtaining a work visa. Therefore, please understand that we can only accept applicants with a valid working visa for the UK
Bennett is and equal opportunities employer.