The Design Manager will be responsible for coordinating the design elements and interfaces of all aspects of a project ensuring the quality of the design and monitoring the delivery of the project. The role will report to the Managing Director and be responsible for the Daily Design Management, as well as the daily management of the Design Consultants. This position will liaise between the Client, Design Consultants and the project staff for design matters, as well as liaising with the Site Manager for the development of design package and procurement strategies. The ideal candidate will be diploma/degree qualified in Engineering with a minimum of 5 years’ experience
Principle Duties & Accountabilities
- Develop innovative design solutions to client's briefs and contractor’s proposals whilst controlling the professional team and subcontractors;
- Thoroughly appraise tender documentation when received to identify risk, opportunity, insufficient information, inadequate or incorrect design;
- Develop relationships with clients from concept stage onwards; manage expectations of the project through regular communication and discussions regarding requirements and specifications;
- Manage the relationship for the whole project team - with the client, subcontractors and professional team and resolve any queries;
- Review the design on an ongoing basis, identify potential interface problems & practicalities in construction, and resolve with the design team and specialist subcontractors where appropriate;
- Represent the company on D&B matters, including attending meetings with potential clients and representatives, and maintain the corporate image
- Keep abreast of current developments within the industry and identify need for changes in current practice.
- Design / Engineering / Construction degree/diploma
- Minimum 5 years residential / mixed development construction experience, preferably in a Main Contractor entity
- Thorough knowledge of computer and database applications such as Windows, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Microsoft Project/Powerproject etc.
- Thorough understanding of the construction industry and broad understanding of regulatory requirements.
- Excellent ability to analyse and interpret contractual documents.
- Proven excellent analytical and organisational skills.
- Strong self-confidence, good judgment, and the ability to make sound decisions required.
- Must commit to maintain strict confidence regarding any sensitive information she/he may have to handle.
- Superior oral and written communication and interpersonal and negotiation skills required.
- Able to interact personably, yet professionally with client and regulatory officials and staff of all levels as well as with senior executives both within and outside the company. Must be able to interact well with Bennett staff at all levels with equal ease.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to a changing environment are essential.
Bennett (Construction) Ltd is an equal opportunities employer